Monday, July 31, 2006

WSOP Main Event

Not sure where to start with this post because I could probably write an entire book about my experience at this year's main event but I don't feel like dwelling on this too much right now so I'll keep it short for now.

My table draw was terrible. Most people think having big name pros at your table is a bad thing, this could not be further from the truth. I was seated at a table of all online qualifiers who's goals were to make it through the day. In over 10 hours of play more than 1000 people busted out of the tournament, at my table 1 player busted out. Everyone at my table was so reluctant to put any of their chips in the middle that we almost never saw any big pots and while most tables had average chip stacks of over 20k, my table had half that. It's impossible to accumulate chips when they simply don't exist.

I started off playing alot pots and pushing my table around but was never able to pick up any big pots because there were none. My table eventually got sick of me stealing all the chips and began to call me down to the river with anything so I had to back off for awhile and for a few hours I decided to tighten up and primarily only play real hands. I am extremely patient when it comes to poker, far more than the average player but I was soooo card dead from about 2 hours in to 10 hours in that even with me stealing pots whenever I got a chance my chip stack dwindled lower and lower.

After the dinner break I stayed patient and watched my chips slowly melt away until I picked up pocket queens under the gun. I raised 3x the big blind and the action folded around to the small blind who asked how much I had left and then decided to raise enough to put me all in. Because of my small chip stack and the situation I was in this was an absolute no brainer and I instacalled all in. My opponent had pocket 7's and my pocket Q's were obviously way ahead. A scary flop of 345 comes and now my opponent can win with any 6 or one of the two remaining 7's in the deck. The turn card is a 7 and I am left all but dead, I need a miracle queen on the river to stay alive but it does not come. I am out.

Overall I wasn't really that disappointed with how things went. My table draw was awful which forced me to alter my gameplan and playing style but I felt like I adapted well and played good poker all day. It is disappointing to lose in the fashion that I did but in poker the only thing you can ask for is to get your chips into the middle when you are well ahead as I was and hope that your hand holds up. Bad luck has pretty much been the story of my entire WSOP experience this year and while it sucks that I ran into bad luck at the biggest poker event in the history of the world, I can only smile and move on, knowing that I played good, had a great time, and will be back next year to do it all over again.

3 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Аdmiгіng the time аnԁ еffort уou put іnto your sіte and dеtaіled іnformation you ρrovide.
It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't thе
samе unwanted rehashed material. Wondeгful read!
I've saved your site and I'm аdԁing yοur RSЅ feeds tο my Gοοgle
account.

Lοοk at my wеblоg: RPϺPoker Promοtions - -

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After explorіng a numbeг οf the aгticles on your site, I truly liκе
your waу of blоgging. I sаved as a favorite it to my bookmark ωеbpage
lіst and will be checkіng bacκ soon.
Please visit mу web site too and tell me hоw you feel.



Feel free to surf to mу ωeb blοg .
.. WebSite

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hі therе! I could havе ѕworn I've visited this website before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's new
to me. Rеgaгdless, I'm definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll
be booκ-marking it аnd checking back
regularly!

Also visit my blog post Low Stakes Bonus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home